The WLT 2013 Manuscript Contest
This contest is now closed.
Congratulations to our 2013 WLT Manuscript Contest winners!
For a complete list of winners, click HERE.
UPDATE (5/5/2013): All critiques have been emailed to authors. If you paid for a "judge critique" entry but have NOT yet received your judge critique, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Been slaving away on an unpublished manuscript that's finally ready to see the light of day? Well, here's your chance! You are invited to submit a 250-word synopsis and the first 2,500 words of your unpublished work to the League’s 13th annual Manuscript Contest. The winner in each category will meet individually with an agent at the 2013 Writers’ League of Texas Agents Conference, June 21 – 23, 2013. You do NOT have to be a member of the Writers' League to enter this contest.
This contest gives you the chance to…
• Attend a private meeting with a literary agent in your genre
• Have your work professionally critiqued by a published author
• Find out how your first ten pages rank against others in your genre
• Be recognized at the 2013 WLT Agents Conference
How to Enter
- Carefully review the complete list of contest rules.
- Download and print our entry form. Then mail it to our office with your payment included. (Instructions on where to mail the check are included in the form). Whether you pay by credit card or check, you must have a valid email address to enter this contest. Please note that there will be a 4% handling fee for all credit card orders.
- Once your payment has been processed, you will be contacted via email with instructions on how to submit your manuscript pages and synopsis.The submissions process is completely digital this year. This means you will submit your entry via email as a Microsoft Word Document or PDF attachment.
- Your manuscript pages and synopsis will be due (by email) shortly after receiving the instructions email.
- Once we receive your manuscript pages and synopsis, we will send you a confirmation that your complete entry has been received.
Entry forms & payment must be postmarked by Friday, March 1, 2013
• Mainstream Fiction
• Historical Fiction
• Nonfiction (including memoirs)
• Children/Middle Grade (no picture books)
• Young Adult
Please note that unlike years past, there are now two types of submissions:
For a straight submission, the fee is $20 for members and $30 for nonmembers. If you purchase a straight submission, your entry will be submitted to the contest but you will not receive a written critique of your work.
For a submission plus a professional written critique of your manuscript, the fee is $45 for members and $55 for nonmembers. For more information on the professional critique, see below:
All critiques will be done by published professionals. Critiques are double blind - contest entrants will not know the name of their judge and all submissions will remain anonymous to the judges. Critiques will be delivered via email after the contest results have been announced. Please note: Critiques cover the material submitted for the contest (a synopsis + the first 2,500 words of your manuscript), not the entire manuscript.
Winners in each category will receive a one-on-one consultation with an agent at our 2013 Agents & Editors Conference. In addition, winners will attend the Friday evening "Writers' Coffeehouse" where they will be honored and their winning entries will be read aloud. Winners who cannot attend can opt for a phone consultation. Readings can be performed by the authors or a conference faculty substitute reader.
Deadline to enter: March 1, 2013
Winners notified by emal: No later than May 31, 2013
Recognition of winners and private consultations: Friday, June 21, 2013, at the Hyatt Regency Austin
Questions about the contest? Email email@example.com