The WLT 2014 Manuscript Contest
Been slaving away on an unpublished manuscript that's finally ready to see the light of day? Well, here's your chance! You are invited to submit a short synopsis and the opening pages of your unpublished work to the League’s 14th annual Manuscript Contest. The winner in each category will meet individually with an agent at the 2014 Writers’ League of Texas Agents Conference, June 27 – 29, 2014. You do NOT have to be a member of the Writers' League to enter this contest.
This contest gives you the chance to…
• Attend a private meeting with a literary agent in your genre
• Have your work professionally critiqued by a published author
• Find out how your first ten pages rank against others in your genre
• Be recognized at the 2014 WLT Agents Conference
What’s new for 2014?
This year, the Manuscript Contest has gone 100% digital! All entries must be submitted online, and payment must be made online via credit card at the time of submission. Checks and paper entry forms are no longer accepted.
How to Enter
- Carefully review the complete list of contest rules and formatting instructions.
- Fill out out our online entry form and submit your payment online via credit card or PayPal.
- The entry form will prompt you to upload your file. Please upload only one file. It should include both your synopsis and the opening of your manuscript. (Acceptable formats: .doc, .docx, and .pdf)
- Once you upload your documents and submit your payment, you will receive an automated confirmation email. There is nothing further you need to do at this time.
Deadline: February 21, 2014 at midnight CST
• Mainstream Fiction
• Historical Fiction
• Nonfiction (including memoirs)
• Children/Middle Grade (no picture books)
• Young Adult
$55 members / $65 nonmembers
Note that your membership must be current in order to receive the member discount. As proof of current membership, you will be asked to provide your member number. If you’re not sure where to find your member number, log into www.writersleague.org and click on “my account". If you're not sure whether your membership is still current, you are also welcome to call our office.
All entries will be judged and critiqued by published professionals. Critiques are double blind - contest entrants will not know the name of their judge and all submissions will remain anonymous to the judges. Score sheets with comments from the judges will be emailed to each entrant after the finalists and winners are selected.
You may enter this contest in as many categories as you like, with up to three entries per category. Each entry requires separate payment. For each one, please fill out a new online entry form and submit payment when prompted.
Winners in each category will receive a one-on-one consultation with an agent at our 2014 Agents & Editors Conference. Winners who cannot attend in person can opt for a phone consultation.
Deadline to enter: February 21, 2014 at midnight CST
Finalists announced: May 31, 2014
Winners announced: Prior to the 2014 WLT Agents Conference
Questions about the contest? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Congratulations to our 2013 WLT Manuscript Contest winners!
For a complete list of winners, click HERE.