Writers' League of Texas AWP-in-ATX Contest
Deadline for Submissions: March 8, 2017
Winners will be notified by April 15, 2017
One (1) First Prize: 2017 Agents & Editors Conference Registration, one-on-one consultation with a literary agent, 2 nights at the Hyatt Regency in downtown Austin, $300 toward travel expenses ($1100 value)
Two (2) Second Prizes: 2017 Agents & Editors Conference Registration and one-on-one consultation with a literary agent ($450 value)
We are thrilled to introduce the AWP-in-ATX Contest. The competition is open to all AWP members and AWP 2017 conference registrants.
First Prize wins a registration to the 2017 Agents & Editors Conference (a three-day event featuring more than 20 agents and editors in downtown Austin, June 30-July 2, 2017) plus a one-on-one consultation with a literary agent, 2 nights at the Hyatt Regency Austin, and $300 toward travel expenses.
Second Prize winners will receive a 2017 Agents & Editors Conference registration and a one-on-one consultation with a literary agent.
Becka Oliver joined the Writers' League of Texas in September 2013 as Executive Director after more than sixteen years of experience working in book publishing. She spent much of her publishing career inside two of the “big six” publishing leaders – Macmillan and Hachette Book Group -- before becoming a literary agent in 2007, first at Endeavor and then at William Morris Endeavor (WME) after the two powerhouse talent agencies merged in 2009. As a literary agent, Becka represented clients working in both fiction and non-fiction.
Michael Noll is the Program Director for the Writers' League of Texas, and the editor of the craft-of-fiction blog Read to Write Stories. His short stories have appeared in American Short Fiction, Chattahoochee Review, Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine, Indiana Review, and The New Territory. His book, The Writer's Field Guide to the Craft of Fiction, will be published in Fall 2017 by A Strange Object.
- Online entries must be submitted by March 8, 2017 at midnight CST.
- Submit a one-page query letter and ten manuscript pages.
- Manuscripts must be original, unpublished, and not accepted for publication.
- Writers may submit multiple entries; separate entry forms and payment should accompany each submission.
- Entries must be typed and double-spaced. Use 12 pt. Times New Roman font with a 1-inch margin, submitted as a PDF. (The query letter should follow this format but be single-spaced.)
- The combined page count should not exceed 11 pages (1-page query letter and 10 manuscript pages)
- Please do NOT include a header or footer.
- Your query should appear on the first page, before the opening pages of the manuscript.
- Your query should include the title of your manuscript. Please put the title in all caps (LIKE THIS).
- Author's name must not appear anywhere in the document EXCEPT for the file name. In the query, you may keep your bio, but please remove your name.
- File name should take the following format: LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME_MANUSCRIPT TITLE (Example: Smith_Jane_Title.doc). We will re-name your file before it reaches the judges.
Failure to abide by the contest rules and formatting guidelines will result in disqualification and forfeiture of entry fee. Any questions? Call us at 512-499-8914, or email at email@example.com with "AWP in ATX" in the subject line.
See you in Austin in June!